Sunday, March 7, 2010

Day 51: Cycles and Connect

This morning began quite early for one in Tilburg, especially a weekend day! Mathea, Bali and I met up at 8:30am this morning to go to campus to look for her bike. Long story short, another student who owned the bike (and was giving it to Mathea) had lent the bike to another exchange student who parked it "somewhere on campus". It was our duty to figure out where it is on campus, without actually ever having seen the bike.

So we set out strategically this early on a Sunday to search for the bike, since we knew there wouldn't be too many other bikes parked on campus at this hour. We searched through all of them and tried the key to the lock on any that vaguely matched our description of the bike, but our efforts were futile. We did not find the bike :(

We returned to Verbs, and made a nice warm breakfast to thaw out. Then we parted ways for the day. The rest of my day was pretty productive, the usual Sunday routine: homework, laundry and workout. I skyped a friend and spoke to her about tentative plans for an upcoming visit to the Netherlands and got a lot done.

Tonight I decided that I would try and go to this Bible study, Connect Tilburg, that I have been meaning to go to all semester, but have been unable to make it each week  for one reason or another. This group meets every other Sunday night at a Church nearby the University (only about 15 minutes cycling), for dinner, fellowship and Bible study. I was looking forward to finally going, but a bit apprehensive about finding it on my own, as I had never been to this part of town before. But it turned out to be the nicest thing. The cycling trip there was great, as the weather was again sunny and cheerful :)  I enjoyed seeing this new scenic route and riding through some quaint neighborhoods in Tilburg. I was glad to find the Church, with no turn-arounds (imagine that!!). I had taped the directions that I had written down for how to get there onto the front of my bicycle so that I would just have to glance down for the next turn or whatever. Truly convenient!

Connect was great! This was the first time in about three months that I have been with a group of believers in a safe environment where we could openly discuss the Word and fellowship with one another. Back home, I am really involved in the BCM (Baptist Collegiate Ministry) at Agnes Scott, and I have really been missing my girls and weekly Bible study group while here. Its been weird not having a church home or a Christian group to interact with on a regular basis, as I have had that my whole life. So it was really nice to be amongst fellow believers...in Europe!

We enjoyed a nice dinner, fixed by Miss Ruth (the sweetest woman from Germany, who I had been in contact with about coming to Connect). We had a tasty penne pasta with creamy veggie sauce and optional sausage. Then we had vla (Dutch for pudding...their favorite item in a carton!) and coffee and poundcake for dessert. After supper, we separated into two smaller groups for Bible study. I went to the one called "Stay Awake". It was led by a Dutch guy (in English!) and was a mix of young men and women from all over (Chile, Canada, China). We discussed the topic of Jesus' Second Coming. It was really thought-provoking and I enjoyed hearing the opinions and thoughts of others' from all over the world. It was so neat to see how we all came from entirely different places geographically, but this common belief in an Almighty Savior and Lord bound us together. It was really great! And I met a girl who is an au pair in Breda (about 20 minutes away by train) who offered to take me to the English-speaking Church in Eindhoven with her sometime. I am really thankful for that, as I have not been to Church since last semester (not counting my previous attempt at finding a Church here :). Hopefully that will work out! Apparently there is an Evangelical Baptist Church in the City Centre of Tilburg as well. Its services are conducted in Dutch, but they have the option to wear headphones that relay the service in either English or French....I think it would be weird to wear headphones in Church though (I'd feel kind of rude :)!

Cycling back was rather chilly, but it was a pretty quick ride. And the night ended with my weekly Skype date with mom and dad :)

All in all, a very nice and enjoyable day in Tilburg. A good start to a brand new week that promises sunshine, according to weather.com!

1 comment:

  1. Hey Sarah! The Bible study sounds cool! Good luck visiting that church. :)

    Miss you! I'm having a good break, with lots of sleeping. I just caught up on all your blog posts. ^^ Sounds like you're having fun! You're making me jealous with all your traveling and eating. ;)

    ReplyDelete