Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Day 2.5, 3 & 4


Hallo! Mijn naam is Sarah. Ik kom uit Amerika.

These are a few phrases that I have been saying a lot over the past few days as I have gotten to know the other 150 exchange students at Tilburg University here for the semester. Okay, well, I haven't actually been saying all this in Dutch, but I have picked up a few words :-)

Sorry for the gap in blogging...two words: dead battery. But alas, my laptop has some juice and it should get me through this post at least....hopefully!

So I will pick up where I left off: day 2.5!

Sunday afternoon, we went to Cafe Phillip on Bus 130 to the City Centre. I learned that the daily bus pass is 3 euro,it only takes about 5 minutes to get to the Centre by bus, the Dutch listen to many American songs (like Lady Gaga and Kings of Leon) and that I have a preference for white wine! The drink was fun, and afterwards, some newly-met friends and I took a walk around the City Centre before heading to Stoffel (a smalll Dutch restaurant) for some supper. We had to ask the waiter for an English menu, as the items were all in Dutch (told you my Dutch isn't that good yet!). In the city centre, we saw the KFC and McDonalds that are loacted in Tilburg...much nicer than Amerika!

Monday morning we shared coffee together before our official welcome to the college as exchange students. Later, we were given a traditional Dutch lunch (where I had my first stroopwafel....omg, the best carmel deliciousness you will EVER try!) before heading out on a short tour of the campus. It was rather funny to be on the other side of the tour, as usually I am the one giving the tours (at ASC)! This was informative though, and made me feel much better about getting around on campus! Monday evening, we made the 2nd trip to Westermaarkt, a plaza of many shops about 0.5 miles down the road. Its really not a bad walk at all, and once I get my bike, I can cycle there in no time! We all went on a mission to get cell phones so that we can communicate with one another over here, but the Electronic store (Dixons) had already sold out for the day! (Come back tomorrow!) Monday evening, I joined my friends Bali (Singapore), Audrey (Texas) and Maddie (Texas) over in Verbs 90 (a flat two buildings down) for dinner. We fixed pasta in their flat's kitchen, and watched curiously as the Dutch students that live with them concocted an interesting dinner of kabobs! Bali was kind enought to let me use her internet for a few minutes before I headed back to Verbs 50 for the evening.

Today, Tuesday, we convened for coffee and then split into groups for various sessions. I was placed in the "Dutch Language" and "Culture Matters" groups. Both sessions were interesting, and I learned to be open-minded about other cultures and a few basic Dutch phrases! I'm still practicing that -g sound though...try this word: daag (umm, I don't know either!). We were given a 5 euro voucher for the cafeteria, so I took the opportunity to try a Dutch tradition: a fried fritter stuffed with cheese and meat....tasty! I have deemed the cafeteria food good, and plan on eating many meals there throughout the week, so that I dont have to cook for myself (call it lazy if you like!).

This afternoon I witnessed an interesting exchange, as several of my friends purchased bikes from an international student that was here last semester and was selling bikes other students had left behind. I am planning on buying a bicycle tomorrow from a girl I met on Facebook that was here last semester. I'm kind of nervous about cycling...I mean, people ride fast! I guess it will all work out! I also got down to the market this afternoon with a few friends to buy the things that we ran out of time for yesterday (essentials, you know...like a hairdryer and hangers!).

Tonight I met my mentor group, which is a group of 16 or so international students and three Dutch mentors that will convene on a weekly basis for dinner and an afterparty. My group is nice and diverse- there are people from Brazil, Turkey, Thailand, Taiwan, Ireland, Sweden, Canada and Spain (to name a few). There is also another girl from Florida, who I will be pairing with to cook an American meal for the group in a few weeks. This should be interesting....we are planning on making hamburgers and mac 'n' cheese, but if you have any other suggestions, please let me know! We had dinner as a group at a restaurant in the City Centre- Drie Gezusters (Three Sisters), before heading to the LG- the night club where ESN will have after parties every Tuesday night after mentor dinners.

Tomorrow will be a long day of applying for my residence permit and getting classes and things all sorted out. But all is well so far. I am feeling settled and starting to plan my travels for the upcoming months...so much to look forward to!

2 comments:

  1. Hey Sarah,
    I'm glad you got to the Netherlands safely and are enjoying your first couple of days there. Keep up the blogging, your posts so far have been really great.
    -Bethany

    ReplyDelete