Thursday, January 21, 2010

Day 6: Thankful for Subtitles


"Everyone in the Netherlands knows English."

While this statement is (mostly) true, its still difficult sometimes living in a place where the primary language is not your native tongue. I recognized this tonight especially when we went as a group to the City Centre for a tour of the Centre, to meet the Mayor and to see a traditionall Dutch film, "Alles is Liefde" ("Everything is Love"). This film portrayed so many typical aspects of Dutch life. It was set in Amsterdam and the actors and actresses spoke in Dutch...but there were English subtitles! The movie was a lot like the American film, "Love Actually", but in my opinion, it was better.

Watching this movie with the subtitles made me think how odd it is to be in a place where pretty much everyone speaks another language....its like not being let in on one giant secret. Just motivates me to learn some Dutch whiles I'm here! Classes begin for me next week, and I'm really looking forward to them. Here is what I will be taking this semester:

-Dutch Language for International Students
-Theme: Dutch History, Culture and Society
-Organization Development
-Relations and Networks of Organizations
-Group Dynamics
-Social Cognition

Most likely I will drop Social Cognition, but I will go to the first class and see how it is. Six classes might be a bit much!

Tomorrow I leave for the weekend for ESN camp with many of the other international students. We will be going to a local farm retreat location, where there will be teambuilding activities and games....should be fun :-) But I most likely will not resume blogging until Sunday, so don't panic!

Almost forgot! Tonight I ate dinner at Subway! Good old American food :-) It was nice to have some home cookin'!

3 comments:

  1. Sarah,

    Sounds like you're have a big time. Glad to hear it. Subway? Paul will be jealous.

    The pics look great.

    Poe

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sarah!!!

    I love your blog!!!! It sounds like you're having awesome adventures! I signed up to follow your blog, but I haven't gotten any e-mails about updates, so you might want to be aware of that. You can read the e-mail I will be sending to you soon! :)

    Lizzie (Roomie for life!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to come here. Let me introduce our Titanium Jewelry online store. It is so fast and convenient to get the fashion Titanium Jewelry. Our products are very popular now.
    Titanium Rings For Men is the first choice for boys. And some customers buy it to send their friends, sons as one fashion present Girls prefer to choose the Women’s Jewelry such as Womens Earrings, Womens Necklaces to decorate themselves.
    Summer is coming. Men and Women are all fond of wearing the jewelry to make yourself more beauty. Our store offer many kinds of jewelry to fit any customers such as Men’s jewelry, Womens Titanium Jewelry, classic jewelry, Pandora Jewellery, new arrival jewelry, Pandora Canada, pandora jewelry and so on. We have some products are discount and they are very cheap.
    Welcome to visit our website and you will get the large surprise.
    Our store website is http://www.titanium-jewelry-online.com/

    ReplyDelete